Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mardi Gras in March

Tomorrow is the second Friday, which means American Girl! This is our month to take over snack and craft. We picked the new historical girls, Marie-Grace and Cecile. They are based in New Orleans, so we decided that we were going to do Mardi Gras three weeks late. We will make a King Cake (a la Sandra Lee, with a few changes, cause I really don't have time to make from scratch), pralines, and masks for girl and doll. Thanks to the Dollar Tree, I got the masks last month, we just have to put all manner of gaudy sparkly things on them. The doll masks I had to create. Again, thank you Dollar tree. They had foam sheets, very similar to those bought next door at AC Moore, but thinner, which would normally bug me, but in this instance it is preferable, because it's more form-fitting to the doll's face. So I made a pattern out of 3x5 card and an oval hole punch(which I also used on the foam, it was so thin) and cut it out.

The hard part was finding something to hold it to the doll's head. I could use ribbon, but I could just imagine how many times I'd be called upon to tie it. I found some hair pretties, cut them and with a knot in place to keep them from coming free, I stapled them. Depending on the size, you may have to connect them. I used a bead beacuse while it seemed to knot fine to itself, knotting two together kept coming undone. Also, now it's adjustable to a smaller doll's head.

After that you get all the other goodies picked up at the Dollar Tree (I think it's my new favorite store), and decorate.

Ribbons and feathers we had onhand. I got some sequins from AC Moore, because I had a coupon. We used a low heat gluegun to glue the sequins on. I have to go get some round ones for tomorrow...little ones...just to drive the moms crazy. I do have one complaint...the glitter glue never dried. It's been four hours and it is still as wet as when I put it on! So I think we'll try real glitter. Maybe. Or puffy paint. Maybe just some more sequins.








No comments:

Post a Comment