Saturday, March 31, 2012

Adventures in Cake Decorating...

I've begun a new hobby.
Along with scrapbooking, drawing, blogging, walking/jogging........I'm learning cake decorating.
Probably, like scrapbooking, it won't be one I use very often.
I figured with four wonderful blessings, all with birthdays within a three month period, it would be beneficial if I learned to decorate cakes. At least as well as the $30 sheet cakes you get at Walmart. I figure surely I can do that. At least. Maybe.
I actually came to the decision after seeing one too many ugly cakes at parties.
Please, don't get me wrong. If one of the ladies in our church had decorated a cake I would give her props and tell her it's lovely. I'm talking about birthday cakes that people paid money for. That look like a child decorated them. Breaks my heart every time. Cause most of them are expensive cakes.

So, some brave lady friends from church went with me to a cake decorating class. Being the good Hispanic group we are (I know, I look it, right?) we arrived late. Thank goodness, it was a class just for us, so the teacher was understanding (I knew I should have told them 5:30, not 6:00...we were all there at 6:30...*sigh* If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?)


Panamá
Bolivia
We had a blast! So many new things I never knew! I'm sure I could have mucked through it enough and eventually gotten the hang of it, but it was so much easier just to get the information in a two-hour class than to trial and error it at home!! If you haven't had the opportunity to take a class, go to your nearest Michael's or AC Moore and try one of their cake decorating basics classes. It's a skill that, as a Mom (or super Dad), will come in handy. I mean, who knows when you'll have to ice 2 dozen cupcakes for a school party? Or grab a cake from Walmart after the bakery is closed and have to write the inscription yourself?? It's also just fun.
And on Monday, we're making roses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment